Undergoing total knee replacement surgery is a major decision that can go a long way to helping you restore your mobility and reclaim an active lifestyle. However, the success of your surgery and speedy recovery often hinges on another factor – your choice of a skilled and qualified surgeon.
Naturally, you want a surgeon with a history of effective knee replacement surgeries, but there’s more to the selection process than that. For instance, you must also feel confident and comfortable with your chosen surgeon.
Here is a list of the things you should consider when choosing the right surgeon for your total knee replacement procedure:
- Solicit referrals. Start by asking your primary care physician or general practitioner for a list of orthopedic surgeons specializing in total knee replacement, especially those whose expertise stands out. Also, you can check with friends and acquaintances who have undergone knee replacement surgery, asking who performed their surgery and whether they were satisfied with the outcome.
- Review your insurance coverage. Once you have a list of potential surgeons, find out which are covered under your insurance plan, as choosing one outside your plan will significantly increase your out-of-pocket costs.
- Check online resources. Numerous internet databases – such as the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and the American Medicated Association (AMA) – identify board-certified knee replacement surgeons and list their credentials. Bonesmart.org also offers information on joint replacement clinics specializing in knee replacements and other procedures. When evaluating a surgeon’s credentials, review their education, degrees, and specialized training. Find out if they are board-certified and by which association.
- Delve into the surgeon’s experience level. Ask the surgeon you are considering how many procedures they perform annually. While top-rated surgeons often perform hundreds of procedures within a year, those who conduct 12 or more total knee replacements yearly are most likely to have the best record of success.
In addition to gaining experience by performing operations, specialists in knee replacement also expand their expertise through continued education related to new technologies, current surgical approaches, and new devices. Find out if you may benefit from a specific surgical approach or device and whether your prospective surgeon is trained.
- Discuss your complete medical history with your prospective surgeon, especially if you have any pre-existing conditions such as diabetes or anemia or have experienced physical trauma that could complicate surgery. Does the surgeon have experience handling these types of cases? This is important in determining whether the surgeon can handle your needs and potential complications.
Total Knee Replacement in Watertown, New York
The board-certified surgeons at North Country Orthopaedic Group in Watertown, New York, routinely perform total knee replacement surgery and a wide range of surgical and non-surgical joint treatments. You can comfortably talk with our highly skilled and caring providers about your best options. Our goal is to help restore your mobility and enable you to return to an active lifestyle as soon as possible.
To schedule a thorough evaluation of your joint pain and formulate a custom treatment plan, contact North Country Orthopaedic Group at (315) 782-1650.