Joint replacement surgery is when a damaged joint is replaced with an artificial one. It can be done to treat many different types of joints, including those in the hip, knee, and shoulder. It is typically performed on patients with arthritis or other conditions that have caused the joints to deteriorate. Joint replacement is not just for seniors, as the age of patients needing a joint replacement is decreasing.
The goal of joint replacement surgery is to relieve pain and improve function. This surgery is usually done when other treatments, such as medication and physical therapy, have not helped bring relief from symptoms.
Joint replacement surgery is a big decision; you should always ask your doctor questions before making a final decision about your treatment. A natural part of your body will be replaced with an artificial one, which can be very beneficial but still merits a thorough discussion with the operating surgeon. Do not hesitate to ask questions to ensure that it is the right choice for you.
Essential Questions To Ask Your Joint Replacement Surgeon
To help you start, here is a long list of things to consider asking your doctor. These questions will help you get the pertinent information you need to make a sound decision and get you on the right track as you prepare for the procedure and how it will impact your life.
- Is a joint replacement the only option I have left for treatment, or are there alternatives?
- What risks and complications from a joint replacement should I know about?
- What surgical technique will you be using for the surgery?
- What type of implant will be used in my joint? Why is it the best choice?
- What can I expect during surgery, and how long will it take?
- What can I expect after surgery, and what is my expected recovery time? How long will I be taking time off work?
- Will I need to stay in the hospital after surgery, or can I go home?
- What kind of pain relief will be available during and after surgery?
- What is the expected outcome of the surgery?
- How much pain can I expect after surgery?
- Will I need physical therapy after my joint replacement surgery?
- When can I return to work or my normal activities following joint replacement surgery? When will I be able to drive myself?
- How do I prepare for a joint replacement to boost its success? Are there any lifestyle changes I should make before or after having a joint replacement?
Not everyone is a good candidate for a joint replacement. There are many factors to consider, such as age, health history, activity level, and more. Your surgeon can help you weigh the pros and cons of joint replacement surgery and make the best decision for your individual needs.
Joint Replacement Surgeon in Watertown, NY
The orthopaedic surgeons at North Country Orthopaedic Group are experts in total joint replacement surgeries of the shoulder, hip, and knee and have been performing these procedures for decades. We are highly experienced in treating adult patients of all ages with joint issues due to arthritis and traumatic injuries. We also serve many people in the military, such as those who are stationed at Fort Drum. From surgery to physical therapy and rehabilitation, we provide all the services you need to make a full recovery.
Our orthopaedic surgeons are highly compassionate and care about empowering our patients to make this critical decision about their health. We are more than happy to discuss this treatment with you if we determine that you are a good candidate for it. To schedule an appointment with one of our doctors, call us today at (315) 782-1650.