A skilled physical therapist can help you recover after having surgery, improve your health if you’re dealing with a chronic condition, or get stronger for playing a sport or performing an activity. Licensed and experienced physical therapists can help people of virtually all ages avoid invasive procedures, keep their pain under control, and continue to enjoy their best health possible.
Let’s talk about how physical therapy can help you achieve and maintain optimum health and wellness, and why the team at Adirondack Physical Therapy is the best choice for you.
A Physical Therapist Can Conduct a Functional Capacity Evaluation
In order for your physical therapist to help you recover musculoskeletal function, improve your sports performance, reduce pain, or regain your ability to perform everyday tasks, the therapist will first establish your baseline functionality by conducting a functional capacity evaluation (FCE).
Performed in our state-of-the-art clinic at Adirondack Physical Therapy, the functional capacity evaluation is done to determine your muscular strength, coordination, and flexibility in the areas of your body which have been injured or compromised by ongoing disease. You may be asked to walk, grip, carry, reach, and perform various other actions.
Your Physical Therapist Develops a Treatment Plan
Your physical therapist will then assess your medical history, goals, preferences, and the in-depth results from the FCE when devising your treatment plan. The therapist can pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses, and explain their recommended therapy approach to wellness and functionality.
Treatment plans can include:
- Stretching and strengthening exercises, both active (you’re performing the action by your own strength) and passive (someone else is moving the area of your body)
- Posture and balance/agility retraining
- Walking on the floor and walking up stairs
- Learning how to use assistive devices, such as wheelchairs, splints, braces, canes, crutches, and walkers
- Learning proper and safe application of heat therapy, ice therapy, compression, and taping
- Weight training
- Massage therapy
- Traction (spine therapy)
- Ultrasound therapy
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
Your therapist at Adirondack Physical Therapy will assess your progress, report these to your orthopedic surgeon, and possibly adjust your treatment if necessary. You will receive exercises to do in your home environment to improve your function on a continual basis. Your active participation in your plan is critical to your improvement.
Lasting Benefits of Working with the Adirondack Physical Therapy Team
Through physical therapy, you may be able to:
- Avoid surgery or other invasive treatments
- Avoid falls and other injuries
- Improve your cardiovascular and respiratory health
- Strengthen your pelvic floor muscles, such as to decrease incontinence
- Learn new ways to perform ordinary tasks in the home or workplace
- Learn how to adjust to your capabilities
- Maximize sports performance, and avoid overtraining and injury
- Control pain without heavy medications
Adirondack Physical Therapy in Watertown, NY
When you participate in a program at Adirondack Physical Therapy in Watertown, New York, you can expect to improve your overall strength, health, and well-being. You will learn the skills you need to move efficiently and safely.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation to find out how we can help you, call North Country Orthopaedic Group today at (315) 782-1650, or fill out our appointment request form online now. We look forward to helping you get stronger and more active!